The
first thing that made me like Google sites was the fact that they had templates
for the backgrounds and buttons. Without
templates I would have had to make all my own backgrounds as well as buttons in
paint brush. This would have been very time consuming and difficult so this is initially
attracted me to Google sites.
Having
the knowledge of knowing how to build a site with Google sites will help me
with my career because I can quickly build a site to respond to a problem that
needs to be solved in my profession. For
example if I need to build a site to enhance a new PLN I now have the knowledge
to do just that.
The
coolest thing that I learned about Google sites is that I can change the
privacy setting of the site. I can make
it totally private or I can make it available to people in a group or to only people
who have been sent a link to the site. Having this feature is really important because
many organizations do not want their information just going to anyone who wants
it. For the most part I am very pleased
with what I have been learning up to this point; however I am a little
disappointed because I don’t get to work on it as much as I would like because
it is very time consuming activity.
The
way I have been learning the most about this tool is by watching YouTube and
viewing how others are using the tool. I found that watching YouTube videos on
how to use the tool is very beneficial and the fastest way to learn how to use
it. For example I learned how to add charts to the website by clicking on inter
tab and adding a chart to the website. I would have not figured this out as
fast if I was to only read the Google sites articles.
A
Google site is really beneficial to a PLN because it can serve as the central
location that the users go to. This allows users to have a common meeting place
which can have links to RSS feeds and twitter feeds. Google sites are an ideal
start for any PLN.
Khalid,
ReplyDeleteI am founding out that Google has some real assets. There is so much connected to Google that it seems never ending, which is a good thing. There is so much to learn and it seems like there is stepping stones from one idea to the next which is very helpful. I like the point you brought up on the privacy settings. It is very important to know what information you are sending to whom. You mentioned that you just learned how to add charts. What kinda of charts, and how do you feel that they would fit into a PLN? You have me curious.
Khaild,
ReplyDeleteI am going to look into Google Sites it sounds like just the tool I need for building templates. I have to make some templates at work and for one of my others classes so I think this will come in handy. However, it also sounds like I need to make sure I have enough time set aside to learn it, to bad is not just easy peasy. Watching Youtube videos is get for this exact type of thing. Thanks for your post and all the great information.
Khalid
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a tool that I should look into. From the sound of your post it should be possible for even me to build a website. It will probably not happen until this class is finished but, I am looking forward to your wiki page. The privacy settings sound like the perfect way to operate. If I decide to start my own business this would be great way to enhance my image and build my PLN. Have you built a site that we can check out, so can we have the address?
Khalid,
ReplyDeleteI believe your reliance on Google is positive. I have been playing around a bit with Google Sites recently and thought it would be beneficial writing a speedy review and examining whether these “do it yourself” site services are suitable for doing assignments. Google sites really is the simplest way to get all of our preferred outcomes in a very prompt time frame. One of the real benefits of making a Google Site is that I can upgrade the page from any computer at any time since it is web-based. This has been a tremendous help as I do lots of work from home and don't need to bring my work computer to home. It certainly is the best tool to make online projects and submit them without any bother.
I like challenge and having many options which your tool provides. I think having the opportunity to be able to create different settings and who can you share it with and who can not access is amazing and beneficial. As you mentioned having so much to learn is great but sometime you may lose so much time because of only one tool. I believe if you fully learned and understand the whole features of Google Sites you may benefit from it for work or school in the near future.
ReplyDelete